Saturday, December 17, 2005

My Mom Shirley's Linzer Torte

"I start with:
1 cup of sugar
2 sticks of butter
1 1/2 cups ground almonds
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon lemon or lime zest
2 egg yolks
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup of "Hero" brand Swiss raspberry preserves

First I am going to cream the sugar and butter, next add my almonds.

{I've used slivered almonds toasted and roasted and also made raw almonds and I can't tell a difference because the raw almonds when they are put in they're going to bake anyway so I can't tell that it makes a whole lot of difference}.

Next I will add the zest
Next I will add the four gradually
Then I'll add the spice, then I'll go on with the flour.

You'll know the consistancy is right when it is mixed well and its a nice stiff dough.

So now we take more than half the dough and we press it into the tart pan and we take the rest of the dough and we put it in "Saran Wrap" and I'm going to freeze it for at least fifteen or twenty minutes. Its really tricky to work with because it has to be cut so it has to be frozen.

Most of the time I use "Hero" Swiss brand raspberry preserves and spread it almost to within a half an inch of the outside. Spread it pretty thin. I use about one third of a cup. I just use an old wine bottle for the rolling pin and I find that works pretty well. I've had all kinds of rolling pins and I like this better than any.

The dough that is frozen, we're going to roll that out and make a lattice top for the tart which is the tricky part. Its the hardest part. It's a stiff dough yet it doesn't cut and you don't handle it very well. It's hard to handle.

Its better if it is made a few days before you serve it and it doesn't have to be refridgerated. It really needs to season at room temperature. I find it works better that way.

You need lots of flour and then I just put the film over it. Roll it out with the pin and take off the film and then cut away the jagged edge and I cut it about oh I don't know a half and inch strips {she slides the long serrated knife blade under the strips to lift them off the board}.

I make the LInzer Torte because of Urs, my son-in-law that comes from Switzerland. Its his favorite thing and I just got into the habit because he always asks me to make one. I've been practicing probably six years maybe five, a while. and now I can whip one up in no time.

It's easy, a simple recipe, its simple, but very good".

1 comment:

Wicked Wench of the West said...

OH MY GOD this looks so good. I'm so happy to finally find what appears to be an authentic European recipe for Linzer Torte. THANK YOU!!